On a ship at anchor, a crew member patrolling the decks at night observed smoke inside the accommodation and reported this to the bridge. The general alarm was sounded and the crew mustered.
Electrical short circuit on ship fish room
The fire was the result of an electrical short circuit in the heater fitted around the wood frame of the door to the meat room. After isolating the electrical supply, a small water hose was used to extinguish the fire on the frame. The insulation and cladding around the door was subsequently removed and no further heat or damage was found.
Corrective actions of shipping company
Fleet instructed to replace similar wood frames with non-flammable ones.
Fleet instructed to renew resistor wiring with better insulation covering.