ETO – 60mt Private MY
IT/Science Technical Officer – 56m Motor –
Category : ETO
Job Type : Permanent
Most important is the Scientific equipment experience and IT knowledge.
Looking for someone that is technically astute who can be trained on the science gear and other technologies as needed. This is not an ETO position. It is for the IT and Science systems.
The company is seeking qualified candidates to fill the role of Science and Information Technology Technical Officer aboard a Research Vessel/Yacht with a worldwide itinerary. This is a rotational position.
The candidate must have strong troubleshooting and technical problem solving skills, must proactively monitor and maintain systems, and must be able to work with remote support personnel on the various shipboard systems when required.
Experience: 3-5 years in a similar role aboard commercial vessels and/or yachts. Experience in the oceanographic scientific community is a plus.
The function of the STO role is to maintain, Integrate and operate the science, networking, and satellite communications equipment onboard, and to act as the liaison to science parties.
A thorough understanding with the fundamentals of electronics and the ability to troubleshoot electronic devices. A basic scientific knowledge in areas and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Acting as Science Liaison between ship¹s crew and science party including participation in pre-cruise mission planning.
• Operation/Maintenance of various science systems, including:
• Multibeam SONAR
• Side Scan SONAR
• CTD packages and water sampling bottles
• Knudsen sub-bottom profiler
• Motion reference units
• Navigation GPS
• Ultra-Short Baseline submersible tracking system
• Hydrographic winch operation
• XBT Sound Velocity acquisition
• Data Acquisition Systems
• Serial/UDP data communication and collection
• Integration of scientific instrumentation into shipboard network
• Documentation of science equipment including Cruise Reports, data
• Staging data and metadata by cruise for science party and archive
The IT tasks include information management, network system integration and computer system support. Knowledge for areas of responsibilities include:
• Operating Systems and software-MS Windows OS, MS Office, MS Project, and Mac OS, Linux, Blackberry
• Group/user/mailbox account maintenance
• Hardware support and troubleshooting failures and conflicts
• Monitoring system event logs and virus definition updates
• Working knowledge of Ipads, iDirect Modems, Seatel DAC and MTN Satellite systems
• Kaleidescape System
• Integrating Scientific instrumentation into shipboard network
• Experience with VPN, Citrix, Blackberry
• GMDSS (Certified operator a plus)
Specific knowledge or related experience on the following items is preferred.
• VSAT Technology:
o KU Band system: Dual Seatel 6012 antenna array through a real time switching system (RTS). iDirect X5 modems with MXP interface.
o C Band system: Seatel 9711 C Band antenna controlled from Seatel DAC 2202
• Network infrastructure:
o Basic networking skills including VLANs, CLI, ACL, Firewalls, and Wireless AP configuration
o Cisco network switches and wireless access points Dell Power Edge R310 server
o Network traffic – Kerio Control Unit 3130 network management firewall system.
o Synology RS815 back up units.
• Panasonic PABX telephony system – TDA100:
• KVH FB500 voice/data/FAX communication systems.
• Iridium 9575 satellite phones.
• Ships Electronics: Navigation and communication systems:
o Furuno X-Band & S-Band radars
o Furuno AIS systems
o Furuno GPS systems
o Furuno GPS compass
o GMDSS (General operators certificate would be a plus.)
o Transas 4000
o Gyro systems
o NEMA distribution
• AV Systems:
o Crestron remote control systems running through the Crestron iPad app.
o Kaleidescape 3U movie server, M700 disk vault and M300 Clients.
• CCTV System:
o Pelco CCTV system.